The Best Bike Trails on Hilton Head Island
With over 60 miles of paved bike paths and 19 miles of densely-packed sandy beaches, Hilton Head Island is a cyclist’s paradise. From short trips along the coast to longer excursions through maritime forests, read on to discover three of the best bike trails on Hilton Head Island! Afterward, if your ride works up an appetite, take a look at our complimentary 7-Day Guide to Hilton Head Island. Our guide is full of recommendations on restaurants, cafes, hiking trails, and more, so that you can spend less time planning and more time enjoying your vacation.
What You Need to Know About Navigating the Island by Bike
The Town of Hilton Head has gone to great lengths to provide safe and well-maintained bike paths along all the main roads. These paths also extend into the island’s gated communities where you’ll find many of our vacation homes and villas. Our beloved sea island is proudly recognized at the gold level as a Bicycle Friendly Community by the League of American Cyclists.
Remember, when you book a stay at Beach Properties, you’ll enjoy special discounts on bike rentals and equipment at local bike shops! During your island getaway, you will love the ease of riding bikes to the grocery store, a variety of restaurants, the beach, and many different entertainment areas – all with the warm sun on your face and the sea air blowing through your hair! Here are some of our favorite bike paths to ride.
1. Sea Pines
Sea Pines is a private, resort-style community on Hilton Head Island. Here, guests have over 15 miles of bike paths to explore. The Sea Pines Forest Preserve is among the community’s most popular places for biking. This protected wildlife habitat features wetland boardwalks, docks, paved trails, and more. If you aren’t staying at Sea Pines Resort during your vacation, there is a small fee for a day pass.
2. Palmetto Dunes Bike Paths
The resort at Palmetto Dunes offers five miles of paved pathways. Riders can look forward to plenty of shade along the trails, as live oaks flourish. In addition, there three miles of wide, sandy beaches to ride. The bike trails here also conveniently connect with the town’s paved public pathways.
3. Shelter Cove
The Shelter Cove area is another one of the island’s top places for riding bikes. You’ll find a variety of local restaurants and boutique shops, a perfect location for those who like to ride and shop! Shelter Cove is also home to a beautiful community park that hosts events throughout the year. The park features picnic tables, benches, tables, and more.
More Great Places to Cruise on the Coast
- Nature lovers don’t want to miss Pinckney Island Nature Preserve. Here, guests can take one of three different bike routes that pass through lush marshes and shady oak trees.
- If you aren’t sure where to ride bikes on the beach, we recommend Coligny Beach Park at Forest Beach. It is Hilton Head's main beach access and includes restrooms, a children's splash fountain, and a free Wi-Fi hot spot. For easy access to this beach, consider one of our Forest Beach vacation rentals!
- For those looking for a short and leisurely stroll, we recommend Jarvis Creek Park. Here, the trail is only about one mile long with plenty of beautiful scenery along the way, like lakeside views and ancient oak trees draped in Spanish moss.
Local Tips & Savings for Your Hilton Head Island Bike Ride
- When you book your stay at Beach Properties, you’ll receive exclusive discounts from local bike shops! View our bike rental page for a list of our participating partners. It is as easy as a phone call to order your bicycles online and have them delivered to your vacation home!
- If you are planning an excursion on the beach, we recommend going at low tide. During this time, the sand is densely packed and perfect for riding! Take a look at the tide chart to help plan your trip.