18 Mar 2022
You can have so many different experiences on Hilton Head that it can be hard to find information to fit your specific needs. Today we detail three of the most common Hilton Head beach experiences and how to prepare for your upcoming vacation!
Read on to discover the top restaurants, activities, and things to do during your next getaway. Afterward, download our free 7-Day Guide to have all our recommendations at your fingertips. Our mobile-friendly Guide is perfect for families on the go.
Hilton Head Island is a pet-friendly town with ample room to run, swim, eat, and play with your furry friend. Finding a pet-friendly vacation rental might be easy, but seeing all of the perfect places for your pooch can often be tricky. Here are a few of our favorite pet-friendly activities you can do on Hilton Head Island with the proper precautions.
What to Pack for Your Dog?
Depending on your dog's breed, size, and needs, only you know what your dog truly needs. Bigger dogs with heavy coats might not fare well in the warmer climate and need good shade, water and shouldn't overexert themselves. A smaller dog might need to be carried or have their bed handy a tall times.
Here is our essential doggy checklist of things we recommended for traveling to Hilton Head:
- Their leash
- Food (and extra in case you decide to extend your stay!)
- Dog water bottle for when you go out but aren't near potable water (like the beach)
- All medication
- Food/water bowls
- Dog treats
- Ways to clean up after them
- Dog bed
The Best Dog-Friendly Activities
- Dog-friendly Restaurants – There are a lot of great places where you can bring everyone out to dinner! Skillets Café and Grill even offers a dog menu so you can leave the dog food and water bowl behind!
- Hit the Dog Park – There are several great dog parks you can visit to meet other dogs and let some energy out in a healthy manner! If being off-leash is a priority, we recommend visiting Chaplin Best Friends dog Park.
- Walk a Nature Trail – If you want to stick to something with more shade than the beach, find one of our nature preserves for a nice walk!
Things To Know
Dogs are allowed on the public beaches in Hilton Head, but with some restrictions!
- During the season (Memorial Day through Labor Day), dogs are allowed with a leash on before 10am and after 5pm.
- You are responsible for removing and disposing of your dog's waste responsibly.
- It is illegal to allow your dogs to harass local wildlife (e.x. birds, fish, and rabbits).
- Dogs must be on a leash or under positive voice control at all times.
Not all beaches are equal, and be sure to research the individual beaches (public or private) before taking your trip!
If staying on the ocean is a priority, choosing where to stay is the key to your whole experience! Read on for the difference between oceanfront vs. oceanview rentals and what to look for in an oceanfront stay on Hilton Head.
Oceanfront vs. Oceanview
While they might seem interchangeable, there are significant differences between an oceanfront and oceanview vacation rental. While both have a view of the ocean, oceanfront properties are generally steps from the beach with direct access instead of oceanview rentals which can be located behind a road or otherwise not with easy beach access.
While both make for a great experience to wake up to in the morning, having an oceanfront property means easy access for those who might otherwise not be up to walking a long distance to the beach.
Picking the Right Beach to Stay On
Hilton Head Island has multiple beaches that have different amenities, restaurants, and activities. Here are three of our favorite beaches with oceanfront vacation rentals to stay on.
- Forest Beach – The most popular public beach community on Hilton Head, Forest Beach is famous for Coligny Plaza, its world class beach, and miles of walkable trails.
- Palmetto Dunes – A more muted experience, Palmetto Dunes boasts a quieter beach scene with multiple golf courses, tennis courts, and the Palmetto Dune Lagoon system.
- Sea Pines – A private resort community, Sea Pines offers a luxurious experience without ever having to leave! Sea Pines is famous for the Sea Pines Forest Preserve which is home to the Indian Shell Rings, horseback riding at Lawton Station, and five miles of private beach.
There are a million and one things to do on Hilton Head Island without including our beautiful Atlantic Ocean coastline! From the lagoons of Palmetto Dunes to the deep sea fishing off the shore, here are several ideas to kickstart your recreational experience on the island.
- Jet Ski rentals – Nothing hits quite like riding a jet-ski on the open water! Fast and agile, rent a jet-ski at a local outfitter by the hour or half day and make your childhood dreams come true!
- Dinner Cruise – Dinner cruises in the bay, on the ocean, or in the intercoastal are a great way to relax after a long day of exploring and see the gentler side of your vacation.
- Horseback Riding – While you can only ride on the beach on Daufuskie Island, there are some stables on Hilton Head Island that offer riding trails, lessons, and more ways to interact with the
- Hiking – Hilton Head is found in the Lowcountry of South Carolina so there are no mountains or hills to hike, but there are plenty of nature, historic, and beach trails to traverse!
- Fishing – Hilton head offers both deep sea and intercoastal fishing from a variety of avenues. You can fish off of a pier, kayak, or on a charter boat in either the Atlantic Ocean or one of the lagoons in the Palmetto Dunes community.
The Beach Properties Experience
Don't settle for a standard hotel room for an unforgettable Hilton Head Island beach experience. There are so many luxury amenities to enjoy when choosing a Beach Properties vacation home or villa! For an all-inclusive experience, select a property in Hilton Head's family resorts, Sea Pines and Palmetto Dunes. These communities are home to gorgeous beaches, fantastic events, oceanfront restaurants, etc. Each of our vacation homes features a private pool. And, exclusive discounts at the area's top attractions are always included with your stay.
Take advantage of our exclusive luxury concierge partner, Concishare, when you book with us! Concishare can provide you with the perfect at-home experience in your vacation rental with a bevy of experiences and services. From delivered groceries to in-home yoga, Concishare is at your service to cater to your needs and desires.